Target SDGs for Climate Change Initiatives
Climate change is the most serious environmental issue in the world today—it is already affecting people’s lives and economic activity in a number of ways as a result of abnormal weather, rising sea levels, and other phenomena. Moreover, the negative impacts of climate change are affecting developing countries and vulnerable people the most, which in turn is creating additional problems for societies, such as inequality and poverty.
At the same time, measures taken to ease or adapt to climate change are leading to improvements in ecosystem services through the enrichment of natural capital, while the migration of social systems driven by investment promotion and technological innovation is generating economic growth. Global sustainability now hinges on how quickly societies can achieve net zero CO2 emissions.
The pursuit of societies resilient to climate change will likely lead to the construction of sustainable societies through the eradication of poverty and reduction of inequality.
Action Guidelines for Mitigating Climate Change
Implementation of Measures and Support to Help Mitigate Climate Change
In addition to actively taking measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in our own business operations, we are making efforts, as a corporate citizen, to support activities that mitigate and adapt to climate change.
Provision of Products and Services
We are working on developing and providing products and services that help mitigate climate change. Our financial functions are being leveraged to promote energy conservation and encourage the use of renewable energy.
Collaboration with Stakeholders
We engage in dialogue and cooperation with our stakeholders as we work to mitigate climate change.
Education and Training
We will ensure that these guidelines are fully implemented at Group companies, and will actively conduct education and training to mitigate climate change.
We will actively disclose information related to our efforts to mitigate climate change.
Challenges for Achieving the Goals
- Constructing carbon-free societies well before 2050 by realizing net zero CO2 emissions
- Visualizing risks and opportunities arising from the rapid migration of social systems
- Constructing business models that transcend sectors to combat climate change
- Expanding financial transactions that contribute to climate change adaption and mitigation
Initiatives for Solving the Challenges
- Provide solutions for the construction of societies with net zero carbon emissions by leveraging banking, trust, and real estate functions.
- Provide capital through investments and loans to promote renewable energy and energy conservation.
- Provide financial products that meet the investment needs of investors with a strong interest in climate change.
- Promote climate change measures in real estate markets and cities with financial and environmental performance evaluations.
- Promote the dissemination of finance that takes its impact on climate change seriously in accordance with the Principles for Responsible Banking.
- As a responsible institutional investor, promote stewardship activities related to climate change.
- Make improvements to the disclosure of information related to climate change.
KPIs for Solving the Challenges
|Promotion of impact finance||12 "positive impact finance" projects*1|
|Climate change mitigation||179 renewable energy finance projects (+34 projects)*2totaling 17,321 MW (+2,181 MW)*2|
|Disclosure of climate-related information||Published the 2020 TCFD Report|
|Long-term sustainable finance target*3||
|Climate change mitigation||
|Disclosure of climate-related information||
- *1From the first project in March 2019 until September 2020
- *2Increase over the last year
- *3Target for SuMi Trust Bank