Target SDGs for Climate Change Initiatives
The most pressing environmental problem facing the world today is climate change.
At COP21, held in Paris in December 2015, signatory nations agreed to limit the increase in the global average temperatures to well below 2˚C, and to pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase to 1.5˚C; they also agreed to draw up a draft of further international targets.
Since developed countries are responsible for 80% of historical carbon dioxide emissions, signatory nations also agreed that developed countries and developing countries had “common but differentiated responsibilities.”
Countries across the globe have since accelerated moves toward realizing carbon-free societies.
Through abnormal weather, rises in sea levels, and other phenomena, climate change is already impacting people’s lives, economic activity, and ecosystems in a number of ways.
Moreover, the negative impacts of climate change are greatest on developing countries and the vulnerable, and this is creating additional societal issues such as inequality and poverty.
At the same time, measures taken to ease or adapt to climate change are leading to improvements in ecosystem services through the enrichment of natural capital, while the migration of social systems driven by investment promotion and technological innovation is generating economic growth.
Global sustainability now hinges on how quickly societies can achieve net zero CO2 emissions.
Action Guidelines for Mitigating Climate Change
Implementation of Measures and Support to Help Mitigate Climate Change
In addition to actively taking measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in our own business operations, we are making efforts, as a corporate citizen, to support activities that mitigate and adapt to climate change.
Provision of Products and Services
We are working on developing and providing products and services that help mitigate climate change. Our financial functions are being leveraged to promote energy conservation and encourage the use of renewable energy.
Collaboration with Stakeholders
We engage in dialogue and cooperation with our stakeholders as we work to mitigate climate change.
Education and Training
We will ensure that these guidelines are fully implemented at Group companies, and will actively conduct education and training to mitigate climate change.
We will actively disclose information related to our efforts to mitigate climate change.
Challenges for Achieving the Goals
- Constructing carbon-free societies well before 2050 by realizing net zero CO2 emissions
- Visualizing risks and opportunities arising from the rapid migration of social systems
- Constructing business models that transcend sectors to combat climate change
- Expanding financial transactions that contribute to climate change adaption and mitigation
Initiatives for Solving the Challenges
- Provide solutions for the construction of societies with net zero carbon emissions by leveraging banking, trust, and real estate functions.
- Provide capital through investments and loans to promote renewable energy and energy conservation.
- Provide financial products that meet the investment needs of investors with a strong interest in climate change.
- Promote climate change measures in real estate markets and cities with financial and environmental performance evaluations.
- Promote the dissemination of finance that takes its impact on climate change seriously in accordance with the Principles for Responsible Banking.
- As a responsible institutional investor, promote stewardship activities related to climate change.
- Make improvements to the disclosure of information related to climate change.
KPIs for Solving the Challenges
|Long-term sustainable finance target
|Climate change mitigation
|Disclosure of climate-related information
- *GHG emissions in the SuMi TRUST Group